View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Junior Posting Member

Simon Miller is on a distinguished road

http://imgur.com/a/4e24a#0

A number of the shots were above the 2mb limit so I just uploaded everything to Imgur.

I tried to get in as many details as possible, but that's tricky with a phone. One thing that might have been lost in the pictures is the slight warp on the belly. Looking down the fingerboard at the body you'd see one side is slightly sunken compared to the other side. That side also has the slight warping at the f hole.

As far as what repairs have been done to it, all I can say is it's been worked on by Heinl's in Toronto at some point. They're probably the most reputable guys in the GTA, so I would imagine their work was pretty solid. That being said, you can see some patchwork on the inside, but nothing that looks horrendous.

I intend to get the bass into my local luthier to have some work done... I'd like a new bridge and the tail gut (which appears to be an old coat hanger). When I do that I plan on have it examined pretty thoroughly.

I agree with brand image... the more I researched the more likely Hofner seemed to be the make, I felt a little disappointed. I wasn't a huge fan of the idea that the same company made all manner of instruments. In my head that equates to being like a Yamaha or Suzuki. At the end of the day, who cares though... the instrument sound awesome :P. I know it'll potentially dampen the value, but I don't intend to sell anytime soon, so it doesn't concern me too much.

That 5 stringer looks amazing! When will it be ready to leave the shop? Is yours a 3/4 or 7/8s? My bass has trouble fitting into a 7/8s bag...it's a big boy.

Thanks for all your help!