View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 01:04 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Miller View Post
http://imgur.com/a/4e24a#0

A number of the shots were above the 2mb limit so I just uploaded everything to Imgur.

I tried to get in as many details as possible, but that's tricky with a phone. One thing that might have been lost in the pictures is the slight warp on the belly. Looking down the fingerboard at the body you'd see one side is slightly sunken compared to the other side. That side also has the slight warping at the f hole.

As far as what repairs have been done to it, all I can say is it's been worked on by Heinl's in Toronto at some point. They're probably the most reputable guys in the GTA, so I would imagine their work was pretty solid. That being said, you can see some patchwork on the inside, but nothing that looks horrendous.

I intend to get the bass into my local luthier to have some work done... I'd like a new bridge and the tail gut (which appears to be an old coat hanger). When I do that I plan on have it examined pretty thoroughly.

I agree with brand image... the more I researched the more likely Hofner seemed to be the make, I felt a little disappointed. I wasn't a huge fan of the idea that the same company made all manner of instruments. In my head that equates to being like a Yamaha or Suzuki. At the end of the day, who cares though... the instrument sound awesome :P. I know it'll potentially dampen the value, but I don't intend to sell anytime soon, so it doesn't concern me too much.

That 5 stringer looks amazing! When will it be ready to leave the shop? Is yours a 3/4 or 7/8s? My bass has trouble fitting into a 7/8s bag...it's a big boy.

Thanks for all your help!
Ok, few things. Does your bass have any sound post or bass bar area cracks that were repaired? A sunken top requires a top pressing with a plaster mold, the top inside gutted first of all patches and the bass bar and then everything fixed again and a new bass bar once the top is re-shaped to original or close to it. That can cost as much as the this bass is worth or a good portion of it if that's what it needs.

Now that I see your neck and wear area, this is the same work seen on all other Hofners. That Ebony button is either a partial inlay or if separately put there, a repair because the button area and back must all be the same one-piece to hold the neck. Separate added buttons, not inlays or crowns, are not original work.

Bot the grade of wood used, I would say this was their top line model. What is the string length? Mine was 42" originally but we moved the bridge up a hair to 41.75" and it plays better at that mensur.

European instruments were made in 1/2, 3/4 and 4/4 sizes. 5/8 and 7/8 are American fractional descriptions. They are not sizes that were referred to by these German shops.

On a company like Yamaha, that is basically a trading company and a rental name. The Motercycle, outboard engine, piano and guitar companies all rent the name and they are not connected that I know of. Also, until Yamaha bought or built a factory in Taiwan, I think they were just subcontractors using other Asian shops and factories to make their Guitars. This is what I have read.

With Hofner on the other hand, they were and are Real Violin makers and came from Bohemia before the War. The Guitar division is just that, another division with guitar makers. That are NOT a trading company like Yamaha so that's not a good comparison. Now that they have or had some basses made in China for lower priced goods, they are also subcontractors BUT, they are makers of stringed instruments as well. With your bass and my bass, they are real basses like any Wilfer or Lang bass made in the same period and quality of make. It is just the Image confusion that haunts the brand from the guitar popularity that dwarfed the violin history and facts of the company.

I will say this now that I am proud to have/own and play on an original Hofner 5-string double bass. Having played it professionally on a few gigs, I have 100% confidence with the bass if that's what fits the gig. I can't wait to get it back and play it again. So many times I find the 5er being as or more convenient to play as compared to a bass with a c-extension. It is the 4th 5er I have owned. I almost want to keep it and take it off the sale page because sometimes, it's the bass to play. If it were 100-200 years old, I think it would be only on display but I am quite use to my older bass with the Extension so it's a tough decision.

Keep and play your Hofner and take care of it. If the top isn't too bad, leave it alone. The next time if that day comes that the Top cracks, then that would be the time to do all the work I mentioned.