Thread: Bass Set-ups
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 12:26 PM
Junior Posting Member

BobWankowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Bob, I'm curious: What is your reasoning for choosing Nickel's? Can you tell me what you like about them?
That's easy. Specifically the "Smith" Nickels sound clear and warm right from the start. On my fretted they sound wonderful and jazz guitar-like up high, clear and piano like down low and have a great slap sound. My BSR6G is a bright bass to begin with so that may have something to do with it. There is no break in period with these so the tone is pretty consistent for the life of the string.

On my fretless they give me any fretless sound I want depending on pickup/eq settings and they are pretty easy on the Ebony board.

I really like them better than the other Nickel or stainless strings I've tried and I've pretty much tried them all. Funny how my whole string experiment took me right back to the Smith Burner's I liked to begin with.
It's likely I'll use them on my 3rd Smith whenever that happens though since I saved all the strings from my experiment I'll likely test again as the wood variations do make a difference and when I get my fretted bolt on Walnut I may prefer a steel string.

Best,
Bob

Post script:
Actually just got my CR6GF (fretless) back from my Luthier Savant after having the fingerboard redressed and am giving a set of TI Jazz Flats a whirl.
I had them on a Pentabuzz but they were not a player in my "6 string test". I'll keep the post up on how they fare after a little break-in period.

Last edited by BobWankowski; 04-17-2007 at 12:40 PM. Reason: added info