View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 05:49 AM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jenkins View Post
My brand new BSR6 should be finished in a month or two. I’m looking for a ruff and rugged case that I can use for those times when I’m forced to check my bass with the rest of my baggage when I travel. I need a case that I don’t mind getting scratched up that will fit the BSR6 snuggly. I love the original Ken Smith case but the airlines will mess that case up pretty quickly. I also want a different case for travel because I don’t want Ken’s name on the side so that less than honest airline workers will not be as tempted to cause it to “mysteriously disappear.” And besides that, I just don’t want that nice Ken Smith original case to get scratched and/or damaged. Any suggestions?

Mike,

I would suggest getting an ATA Cat-1 Flight Case. You can either have one special made to fit the dimensions of the bass, or you can do what I did. What I did was this....

I had an ATA Cat-1 Flight Case (made by Omni-Case out of Henderson, TX.). made based on the dimensions of the Smith OHSC. This way, not only can I include the bass inside the Smith OHSC and inside the Flight Case; I can also use the Flight Case for any of my other Smith's and just about any other cased bass I would ever own. Great protection and peace-of-mind (at least as much peace-of-mind one can have dealing with any Airline)?....Absolutely the best! Also, I had the case designed with recessed heavy-duty wheels and a pull handle.

Heavy?....yes. Will it cost extra to check it?....probably. Was the Flight Case expensive?......Was your Smith Bass expensive and do you want it protected on a flight?.....duh!

An alternative may be to get a well-fitted gig bag with an attached coat hanger. I have done this where I carried the gig bag on the plane as a garment bag. Now, that's been a couple of years since I've done this, however, you might check with the Airlines and see if this is an option. The problem here is this: Depending on who you talk with at the Airline, the risk is having a run-in with some "Barny Fife" Airline Attendant that feels the power to give you a hard time about carrying it on as a garment bag.

Or, maybe you can just locate a "decent" bass (lol..) to use on the "gig-end" of your flight?

My advice....go for the Flight Case if you intend to fly much with your bass.

At any rate.....Good luck!

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 08-02-2007 at 06:04 AM.