View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hochberg View Post
John Flucher(n) or Stucher(n) ?? I'm sure you got that far yourself...
I got Stucher on the bottom label but never saw the S as an F. On the top label it looks like it says Berlin on the end at the top but, looks like two script small L's after it so the Berlinll is confusing. The first word looks like Repair abbreviated, 'Rep.' so assumed it was a repair label. There are 3 other lables as well from the 20th century and from known shops/makers in the Saxon area of Germany, near were the bass was for the last 100 years with its two last owners.

The second name on the top label is confusing as well. I can't tell if it's a big script A or a CL. On the bottom label, bottom word looks like Pesc....

It also looks like there is writing under and around the faded words that is even more faded as if the velum (paper made from Calf skin) was written over for either clarity or re-used. Sometimes people write over original labels as well for repairs or modifications or in the case of my old Rivolta, awards. That bass was 1822 and the awards came afterwards. Added later on to the 1822 label was mentioned that he had won both a silver and gold medal as well as a message that he revived the modern school of Stradivari. A 1934 Rivolta has these awards listed on the Label but, from Rivolta, not a dealer afterwards to re-mark the label.

So, the Stucher name which is either Austrian or German (I think) does not show up in my German-Austrian makers book nor any other book ever printed that I can find beyond my own collection. It is either not that name or a repair person that never made it into the books to begin with. That label does not have a date that we can see because it is faded so much. The other from 1866 must be later as it looks like it was added on top of it.