Thread: Scallopini...
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Tucker View Post
Nice pics there again. Interesting that the linings were bent with the ribs. Sounds like hard work!

Any clues on how the scallops were carved? I'm guessing in situ, but I can't see close enough to tell. Since they are so unique on this bass, suggest you include a closeup of one of them as an extra photo!

I note you have put a very wide bridge on this bass, it looks as if it overlaps the FFs by at least half an inch, or more, on either side. In the past, you have been adamant that this is a bad thing and causes belly to sink at the ffs. Any comment on the situation here?
On the Pics, you can click and blow them up a bit to see the Scallops better. I can't tell if they were carved totally after gluing to the Ribs but anything is possible. No two Scalloped blocks are alike within the eight of them. The work is quite nice and easy on the eyes as well.

On the Bridge, the width of Legs of the feet measure exactly the same (just under 130mm) as the width of the upper F's eyes. The tabs of the feet do spread out a bit past that as you have pointed out but nothing in the area of concern. The Bass side bridge Leg is right on top of the strong new Bass-bar. If the Legs themselves were wider than the F's upper eyes, this would be a concern. The Top has a fairly big 2-piece book-matched breast patch covering most of the lower bout and reaching up thru the F-holes as well. Quite impressive 'fitting' work from what I have seen. Have a look below. I guess you have to see a bass like this in person. It is quite loud and deep but does not have quite as much of the depth spread of the larger Storioni, just some extra low boom over it.

The Bass-bar and some other cleats had not been done yet when this was taken. Both the lower and smaller upper breast patches shown here with a complete half-edging as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	!cid_A57CD331E17144AC8F0B1FDCF869815A@Ken.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	2315