View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Posting Member

Greg Lorisco is on a distinguished road
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I can try but this is only my personal feelings on it. I think that certain things like after lengths and bend angles at the head and bridge change the feel and maybe the tension under your fingers. Mostly to me it's the feel but I never measured it other than just feeling it.

The tapered type string seems more true to my ear in tone and intonation. You can't cheat as much with them. Some people like the 'less definite' type intonation when playing because playing anything perfectly in tune is nearly impossible. The pressing down of a string bends it over the fret and sharpens the note as down any microscopic bending of the string to either side. Sometimes things go unnoticed and sometimes not.

To me, the TC string brings out the best in the bass. You just have to measure up to the instrument and try playing it as accurate as we tried in building it. Sounds easier than it is. If you think that's a challenge then try playing the Double Bass perfectly in tune in a Symphony Orchestra.
To my ear the non-taper has a deeper fuller sound than the taper, but I have to admit that is based on a comparison of other (non-smith) strings. So comparing the KS regular to another brand tapers, the KS have a deeper fuller sound. Maybe that is because all KS strings have fuller sound and the KS tapers will sound the same only with more clarity? I don’t know.

This is my first time using KS strings (not on a KS bass), and I like the result. I will need to try KS tapers to tell for sure the difference.