View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up It's back..

After waiting about 7 months the Bultitude is finally back from Sue Lipkins fully restored. The time factor was not at all her fault as she is booked up for the next 5 years making Bows to meet orders. I just sent it there immediately so she could get it done as her schedule allowed.

She made a new Ebony/Silver Screw/Button for the Bow and copied an original Bultitude Screw to do so. Other than her beautiful figured Pearl in the Button which is not at all the material Bultitude used, the Screw looks as original as my other two Bows I owned in the past that were 100% original.

The Bow also has a new Silver/Leather Grip with a partial thin latex cushion grip as well as her typical high grade re-hair job.

This Bow with only a low grade whalebone imitation grip before weighed in at 142 grams. With the new grip and latex it's 152 grams in total, 147 grams without the latex. Stick wise, this is one meaty Bow. Same high grade dark dense Pernambuco as on my other two Bultitudes but this one comes in at 10 grams heavier. It's also about 1/2" longer than the others but the Head is closer in size to a German Bow. Despite its smaller Head it's actually on the Tip-heavy side believe it or not.

The Sound is huge with this Bow even more so than my other two Bultitudes from what I recall. It just doesn't look typical Bultitude until you look closely at the Stick and then you listen to the tone of the Bow when drawn across the strings.