View Single Post
Old 09-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Weighted Tip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swanson View Post
Ken, have you ever noticed a change in "feel" or tone when changing grip types on a bow?

I played my Morizot for a long time with no grip, which was how I received it from my teacher. I recently had it gripped with the lightest silver wire and leather, very nicely, by Eric Lane. Eric also weighted the tip slightly to keep the balance point the same (offsetting the grip's mass).

I have to say that I think that the bow was sweeter before I had the leather and silver put on. The stick seems slightly dampened by the extra mass and doesn't feel as lively in the hand. I am not talking about the extra grams of mass or the bow being heavier; I am talking about the stick's vibration and its feedback loop with the strings/bass. Because I liked the bow's feel before, I am seriously considering having the work undone when I go in for my next rehair...

Ken, or anyone else, with any experience with tone/feel changing with grip types?
The weight in the Tip could be your problem. The Grip is only a few grams and will 'lift' weight from the Tip as far as the balance point goes. That is one way to battle a Tip heavy Bow. On one of my Bows (the Eibert), Biase put thicker Silver wire and now the Bow actually feels lighter. It's 152 grams with the rubber, 146 without and easier on the hand than some of my 140s. That Bow felt heavy 'before' the heavier wire was put on mainly because it was Tip heavy. Now it's one of my favorite Bows and the one I compare all Bows to when testing including Lipkins and Bultitudes.