View Single Post
Old 09-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road

Good thoughts and experience. Thanks for sharing it.

My Morizot's balance was always lovely...it always seemed to play itself.

With the new grip, the tip was weighted ONLY to keep the balance point the same...so it didn't make the bow more tip heavy...actually kept things as they were, in terms of balance.

The bow is light; 126 grams without the grip/tip balance; 130 grams with the grip/weight. While I know that this is lighter than usual, it never felt "too light" before - it was always a bow that just worked well.

What I am puzzled by is the reduction in vibratory feedback the grip (and/or tip weight?) seems to have caused. The bow just feels deader and less "effortless" than before. I wonder if the grip (and/or tip weight) is dampening the stick itself in some bad way, hurting the bow/string/bass feedback loop. It surely feels that way...

I don't know what to do but to reverse course and have the stuff taken off the stick. Ironically, I had the grip put on to try to maintain the bow well, as its current steward. Now, I fear that the grip has harmed its function. Oops. Luckily, it is easily undone.

So, I was wondering in all of your many experiences with bows, etc., if you had noticed a change in resposiveness with a change of grip types, or in my case, going from no grip to a silver/leather wrap.

Thanks again, for sharing your experience.