View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 06:22 AM
Posting Member

Brian Gencarelli is on a distinguished road

Good Morning,

@Arnold- I glued the bottom to the block and then used two brass screws in the block on the overhang, which I carved around the lining to secure it. It has been up to tension for over 24 hours with no noticeable change. Believe me, I am keeping my eye on it. Also, it is fully seated on the block, it doesn't touch the top anywhere.

@Ken- don't worry, I have every intention of coming by the shop if you are in town with the bass in tow.

@Others, I will eventually try some solo strings, however I am not in a hurry now as the bass feels pretty good. I am beginning to realize how much the low neck overstand bothers me when playing solo rep. Orchestral music on this bass is fine. I rarely notice the long string length unless I am trying to do octave string crossings in half position, or a perfect fifth. When you hit thumb, that is when the monsterous string length hits you in the face. "A is that far away from the harmonic?!?!?" You also have to go farther down on bigger shift because of the overstand and the notes feel farther to reach. I really have to overcompensate on some of this Bach.

Thanks for the kind words and support,
Brian