View Single Post
Old 01-19-2007, 11:32 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb KSB Bows...

Last year I get an email from a Chinese Bow maker offering to supply me with Bows from his shop. I tell him I am not the easiest to please as I have personally owned and used Bows by Sartory, Morizot, Bisch, G.Villuame, Vitalie, Lipkins, Eibert, Bazin and Bultitude which were all great Bows. I told him my personal specs and he then offered to make me a sample.

A few weeks later the sample arrived and I could not believe this Bow came from China. The only other exception I have seen was a few handmade Bows from China in the hands of Symphony professionals that are one offs and I also bought 2 of the 4 Bows Sam Shen made in 1997 but he has not made any since.

I was curious to see if they could make other Bows as good so I took a chance and ordered only 10 Bows. They came in and were just as good. I gave them my comments for QC and then ordered 20 Bows. Again, as good as the last plus they listen! Then I ordered 50 Bows and again, all the tweaks and changes I requested were done! Now I take the plunge and get the 100 piece order that they required for a small discount and once again, a sigh of relief that I have Bows I can sell with confidence.

As soon as I have the time, I will update my KSB Bow page showing the changes as we no longer use white hair or wrapped silver on the grips. We have switched to all Black hair which is better for this grade Bow and imitation Whalebone Grips throughout.

here is the link; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/Double.../KSB_bows.html