View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Newell View Post

I know it looks like an Amaj7b5, but as we all know Pope Benedict plays Alto. So on top of his poor right hand technique (mostly due to his age) and being played Alto strung, that would actually be a Dsus2 chord which is quite common in Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina music. While I am sure the Pope gets down to Judas Priest on occasion, I cannot for see Rob Halford singing about the loaves and fishes any time in the foreseeable future.
Alto bass? What's that? Even trumpet players don't get into that nonsense! Anyway, Dsus2 is a sissies' chord - if a guy gets to be pope, no matter how sloppy his fingering is (and I agree that it is), he's going to want to make a strong musical statement. After all, a large portion of the world hangs onto his every word. Sorry Kevin, if I come across all 'high and mighty', but a guy of Bene's age who is enjoying his time in the limelight isn't going to tolerate a chord with no 7th. That'd be far too esoteric for him! No Kevin. Organised religion follows a well trodden road. I think I'm qualified to pull you up on this one. What is my qualification, I hear you ask? Well, I do run a blog that has just about been able to prove that the universe is finite - what have you done? Anyway, I suspect that the 'popegate photo' was a setup. It's more likely that he would play double bass.