Thread: DB Amps..
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2007, 10:27 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb DB Amps..

Helloooooo.... Ok, I'll be the ice breaker here. Since coming out of retirement a few years ago I had to learn things all over again gear-wise. I have an old Sun head and a custom Cab that I used for awhile as well as my old Baby Blue SWR. Shortly after, I got an EBS 350 head and 210 cabinet. To use that, I had to turn the horn off and the treble all the way down. I did a live recording with a 60 piece concert band doing everything from Big Band Jazz/swing to Classical as well as the band/Sousa stuff.

Shortly after I got another EBS (I had a connection..) with less wattage and a 15" cab. I still turn the horn off but I am able to get the sound I need.

I have used this Shadow Pickup I got from Kolstein that is like an Underwood. It fits easily and is forgiving as well. On one Bass, I used picture frame foam tape to fill the gap and it sounded great. That was on my Batchelder Bass I used for a few years in every type of gig.

So, currently I use the EBS Drome 15 with a Shadow Pickup. I use various Basses and have to EQ each of them slightly different.

Next.....?