View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Not yet..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Tice View Post
Any update on how your concert went? Or hasn't happened yet?
This is the Orchestra I play in; http://www.northpennsymphony.org/

The Nielsen Concert is on Oct. 11th with only 3 rehearsals that same week. All other practice is up to me on my own. I just got the music today and started looking over the Beethoven. I have a few low notes to play so I will need the C-Ext. I have quite a few sections of Solo with only 1-Bass/1-Cello to do so that will be fun as well.

I went thru my 3 Basses again today now that I know I need the C-Ext. I think for now I will play the Hart. An hour earlier it was the Gilkes and just before that was the Martini but the Pizz is not as fat as on the Gilkes. The Hart however is sweeter sounding to me than the Gilkes and when playing the E/C string, grabs better. That might just be the difference of string types/gauges on each Bass but for now, I am not messing with any of the Basses. I am just going to do my practicing on the Hart and see how it feels. The Hart is the longer string length of the 3 but has a full Eb Neck/Heel. It also has the widest shoulders and the Neck/Left hand lays further away from my body than the other two Basses. I have only used the Hart on a few concerts as opposed to the Gilkes or Martini which I have used quite a bit in the last 4 years.

Hey, if one or two of them sell between now and then, my Bass choice will be much easier to make..