View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Junior Posting Member

Mikko Moilanen is on a distinguished road
Default 4th

oh that is the place you wanted to buzz about.. well i can give you my fingerings. i have to find them for 4th movement.. but i think the worst is with the 1st movement. with 8 basses playing as one. oh by the way.. thanks for the danish orchestra clip. michael schonwandt was also conducting the helsinki phil. and he always stopped after the 32 runs of the 4th movement and told the whole orchestra how amazing basses we have also remembered us with a standing ovation from the audience (and the most lovely smiles from our violin ladies!)
such an super musical guy, a tad lowsy and bad conductor but boy did we play! the whole orchestra was just as good as the score demands! and it demands, it really demands!
from the danish orchestras version there is some music beyond all the abstract nielsen stuff from 3:21 i think... with the best staff,one of the most mackical moments of music.. 3:56 .. the modulation.. WHOAA!

oh for that fast run with the opening of the 4 th movement. we made a healluful rumble goin up, then you have to be aware of these couple of shifts with your thumb, like the f#, going with the g-string and then using a really amazing amount of bow. for the sound, all the daktyles should be played from the frog to the tip and when everyone does it.. wau!
having this amazing "shwung".. i am not really sure if it is legitimate in US but here in northernmost of europe, next to danmark where nielsen lived it is ok.

Oh was it this? i was refering: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD9I-UiYfW8

i heard one older, retired colleague of mine (who studied in denmark & germany) talking about this :
"taka-takatakatakataka-thummmmmmm-taka thummmmmm-takatakatakatakataka-thummmmm-taka thummmmm.."
"so let your finger lay on the string until the reverb has died down in your lowsy halls"

and yes, i agree. most of the halls are so dry they do not bind any music together.. section to section. like this piece. the infamous 4th!

oh another note.. i myself think that the bbc orchestra doublebasses look like invalids. also live. i am so sowwey. nite.

Last edited by Mikko Moilanen; 09-03-2008 at 09:43 PM.