View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 12:07 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Wink well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Moilanen View Post
KEN? How is it going with Nielsen's symphony? I think it is just one of the most difficult pieces around as a section. This time, as a principal myself too, I would like to know how did you manage your section to play it up to perfection?

I myself did not do anything else than hear "DO IT!".
And we did. Anything else would be nice to hear!
I just got home from the Dress Rehearsal. The Concert is tomorrow night. We are also doing Beethoven's Triple Concerto. In the Triple' the first movement has a Bass Solo with Cello for most of it under the Soloists and Orch. with only a few Bass Tutti's. The rest of the piece is all Tutti. The Nielsen also has that one 6-bar solo at Reh.34. That one is fun but so soft and slow, it's hard to milk it as much as I would like. I am using my Martini Bass for this as it's currently my main Orchestra Bass. The Hart and Gilkes are out for sale and the other 'goodies' are all in restoration or waiting in line for one.

How are we doing.. well, our Orchestra is a contract Orchestra and not a full time Orchestra. It is one of the best in the area but still, not the Philly or NY Phil by any means. I have 2 new basses in the section now (maybe for all or maybe subs, depends). Sometimes when counting rests, we have a few sleepers not coming in when they should. I yelled out 'Tick Tock'!! (meaning COUNT!!). They got the message. All in all, it is not that bad. You were right though about the Unisons in the 1st movement and throughout for that matter. With 5 Basses and 7 Cellos, Yikes.. Where's the Beat!!

Thank's for the two Tymps.. They drown out most of the mistakes, just not all.

I will let you know after tomorrow's concert how it all went. I told one of the section players he could leave is stool on stage (we all bring our own stools usually). He said he needed it to practice.. That's a good sign. I left mine on stage but mainly because I don't need it to practice, if I have the time before. Usually I get to the Stage an hour or so early and go over a few sections. Then a quick break, put on my Bow Tie and get back on stage just in time to Tune!

Any last minute Tips??