View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009, 12:30 PM
Senior Posting Member

Oren Hudson is on a distinguished road

Well Allan - I collect a lot of vintage rigs and I don't just look at them - I use them too. The stable includes an early '73 Ampeg SVT head, 300 watts RMS tube, with the original 2 8-10 square back cabs. I got this rig from the originally owner and at one time he played in Peter Frampton's band. Also another '73 Ampeg 8-10 slant back cab. The square backs were some of the last of that style and the slant back is on of the first of that style, production numbers date to just a few weeks apart. Also another Ampeg rig from 1991 called SVT Classic. This one is the SS head, 350 watts RMS, and the cab is a somewhat rare slant back with a 4-10/1-15 configuration. The SVTs are powerful and a little more top and bottom deals. Also a Sunn Coliseum 300 SS head, 300 watts RMS with 2 folded horn cabs with 1-18 Cerwin Vega in each. These have thunderous bottom. Also 2 Acoustic Control Corporation 371 rigs from the mid 70s. These consist of the 370 SS head, 325 watts RMS and 301 cab, together called a 371. The 301 cabs are the fridge size like the Ampegs with a folded horn design 1-18 Cerwin Vega in each. The Acoustics are known for lots of power and warmth. The last of my 4 favorite vintage brand rigs is the rolled and pleated in naugahyde '68 Kustom SS 100 watt RMS head and 2-15 cab. Kustoms are pretty big on the bottom and surprisingly loud for the power, particularly with 2/2-15 cabs. My tone is lots of bottom first. Then medium to high highs and not a lot of middle. Of course, some depends on the song being done and the bass I'm using. I also play with my thumb, up fairly close to the neck, so I'm giving away my age with that fact. Not my intent to be showy with the listing, rather, most of these rigs I lusted after when I was young and couldn't afford, so over the last 10-15 years I've been adding my loves. Oren