View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 01:46 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

I played French for years and have played German for the last 5 or 6. I changed because of a hand injury (which I now think was caused by too much downward pressure - something I don't do anymore). I bow a lot. I don't claim to be an expert, but these are my thoughts. French is easier to access the E string when standing and certainly makes string crossing feel easier. German somehow seems to produce a darker sound that I like and is probably easier to get volume with. For me, it is a little kinder on my right hand.
To be honest, I like both bows and recently thought of getting a French and using both and having two bow holders on my bass - like that early shot in Gladiator where Maximus is riding his horse into battle and has two swords!
I suspect that it's probably good to spend a little time with both bows but, like strings, when you find the one that works for you, stay with it and don't waste time with 'what ifs'.
I remember being in a school years ago and walking past a practice room where a student was having a double bass lesson. He seemed to be making this wonderful sound that I can't describe; but I can always hear when I think of that day. I knew I wanted to get that sound on my bass. I looked in the room - he was playing German. Ah, but who knows!
With practice, either bow will work well.