View Single Post
Old 01-15-2016, 10:06 AM
Posting Member

Jeremy Darrow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Herman View Post
Hello Jeremy,
I am considering buying Chadwick Folding Bass. I am wondering which option to choose - ply or hybrid.
Is it noticeable upgrade in sound quality in hybrid version? In which way? I am looking for bass good for swing/jazz with richer lower register.
Also I am wondering about durability of folding mechanism. I live in Europe, so getting bass to Chadwick for regulation wont be either easy nor cheap. Do this mechanism needs regulations or repairs? How often?

Best Regards
The biggest difference I found between the ply and hybrids CFBs is that the dynamic response of the hybrid is better. The ply version tends to need a lot of energy to make it really speak, the hybrid responds better to a variety of right hand attacks, though it's not as responsive as a carved bass, or even a particularly nice plywood bass.

The folding parts are quite durable and can be repaired by a competent luthier, as long as they're willing to reach out to Charlie when necessary. I have not found that they need adjustment on a regular basis, I use my bass internationally for more that 100 dates a year and it hasn't let me down.