View Single Post
Old 01-19-2007, 10:48 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb External Linings?

Many Dodd and Forster Basses have Square corners. There are Linings are on some of the Fendts but these are usually later models after 1830. The Fendts took over the Betts Shop after his death in 1823. None of my English Basses have linings. Earlier Fendt I Basses were out of the Dodd (period 1798-1809) or Betts shop (1809-1823). I would imagine it was up to the Shop Master how things should be made and not the shop builder.

I do not find it odd at all that this Dodd Bass has no linings. I believe the makers involved in question did not use linings in their earlier period. The fact that this Bass was made without lining points more to the earlier period than the later of this school. Joseph Hill is one of the oldest known English makers to use outside linings but not on every Bass. The English were the greatest Copyists of mainly the Italian School. The combination of Linings and squared corners are one of the few English traits exclusive to them. Overlooked also is also their beautiful Gold Varnish.

Please guys, post pics like you did on TB of other English Basses too. I did not re-start this to discuss only my Basses. I am more than happy to do so but I don't wanna make it one sided......I don't care if you pull a Bass from some other website for discussion purposes. Lets have some fun and interesting conversation as we Journey into the makers of the Great English Basses.