View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
I know Don Gorman, I like him, and I think he does nice work. The shape of the bass does not appeal to me and I am entitled to my opinion that it is a weird shape. I also build basses with a weird shape, so my comment is not inflamatory. Now if you scaled down the lower bout and changed the shoulders as you suggest above, you would have a completely different bass, so what is your point? I just personally do not have an affinity for basses with exaggerated upper-to-lower bout relationships.

Calvin, you had better get used to people disagreeing with you and having different opinions on aesthetics. You are in the arts after all, where no one type of music, or painting, or dance, is everybody's cup of tea.
I agree with you that it is not the most conventional shape, I have no issues with anyone telling me that, but I don't think you have to use the word "weird." It certainly doesn't make me feel that great and I don't know what it does for you? Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm definitely welcoming feedback but I don't know why you would criticize the design while in reality it looks very much like a French bass with a slightly larger bottom. Once again, you're completely entitled to your opinion, and it's obviously a very valid one since you're a masterful luthier. All I'm saying is that for a student (like myself) who is laying down every penny I have it's not exactly the kindest thing to mock my investment. I personally don't think you would call this instrument "weird" to Mr. Barker's face.