View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Posting Member

Sam Sherry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Marks View Post
Look, I've studied with Karr, so I fully understand what he's trying to achieve with his technique and posture.
Swell. In that case you're surely entitled to your opinion (and I'll try to edit my above post accordingly).

Quote:
I've also had very detailed discussions with him and he's told me outright that he almost always bows incredibly close to the bridge . . . .
As noted above, a lifetime ago I was lucky enough to get to hang around with Gary for a while. Based on that experience, I'm certainly not calling you a liar but I remain doubtful that those were Gary's words or that was Gary's actual practice. But so be it -- I'm just an internet figment.

Quote:
I also went to your website, great looking bass by the way! It seems that you gently rock the instrument inwards...Not exactly what Gary preaches, nevertheless it seems to work for you, correct?
Cal, there's not much point in discussing my technique. Trust me, I work for it not vice versa!

What can I say? When I play pizz (like in those pics) I stand up straight, my bass sometimes leans but my bass balances itself. When I bow I stand up straight, my bass stands up straight and my bass balances itself. I don't pretend to be Gary Karr -- now that would be something wouldn't it!

I remain convinced that the reason I am able to play and remain healthy, even though I'm just a part-time dubber, is that I was brought up in the ergonomics of the Karr / Tolo school. Thank you yet again, gentlemen. To each their own. Play on.