View Single Post
Old 02-18-2007, 12:37 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb What exactly IS NAMM anyway?

NAMM stands for National Association of Music Merchants. My first show was in the summer of 1979 with my Prototype Bass. NAMM shows are or were targeted to be attended by Manufactures, Distributors, Supplies, Dealers and the Music Press and Publications. Many companies invite musicians/artists to either demonstrate their product, draw a crowd at the exhibit booth or both. The NAMM show is not a public show like the Toy Fair or Boat show or Auto show hence not a consumer show but rather a Trade show open only to the Trade and its invitees.

For identification Exhibitors and booth employees wear RED badges, Dealers wear BLUE badges and there are also Green and Yellow Badges for Non-exhibiting suppliers walking the floor and booth employees in yellow aka now know also as Visitors.

In 1979 there were about 300 booths of all sizes combined. That grew in a decade to over 600 and then over 1200 in 2 decades and now about 1600 or so I think. Dealers used to come to BUY but with the Internet, mail order and superstores, most of the smaller shops have either closed or downsized. Only a small percentage have maintained their growth or expanded. Instead of 10-20,000 visitors at a show we now have 60-80,000 (84,695 recorded last show without me,,).

There are less independent stores to sell to as in previous years and many cannot pay their bills on time either. Yet the show keeps growing so someone is selling something to somebody somewhere. One fact remains is that NAMM in itself is raking in the $$$$ but no longer at my expense.

Each year, the amount of Yellow Visitor badges grows and the amount of Blue Dealer badges decreases. In pre-show phone calls to Dealers for meeting appointments we find more and more of them just not going to the Show. Those who do rarely schedule an appointment now and most stop by at a different time than agreed or not at all due to them being too busy with more important 'bread n butter' lines and not high endy boutique like we are considered by many. We almost never take a String order from a dealer at a Show but take them all day long in the office by Phone, Fax and Email.

It is getting to be more of a mass products, public Zoo show than the Trade Show called NAMM we once knew. Now, it is one big waste of time and energy to go and see a few customers and friends that I am in touch with all year round. There is not enough new Business for us to pay for my troubles to go and most new clients Email or call anyway. So.. What's the point?