Thread: spruce or ....
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Senior Posting Member

Adrian Levi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Most American Basses from the 19th century that I have seen were made with local Pine. Usually New England White Pine but not exclusively. Many English Basses were also made with imported American pine, Pitch Pine and Yellow pine. I have basses with these tops made in England. Also, quite a few Italian basses were made with slap cut local growth pine as it was available for one and also cheaper for the least important string instrument of its time.

From what I have seen on old Basses, grain direction and tone have no correlation. They do have strength issues between them being that the straighter the stronger and the higher arch stronger than the flatter is stronger as well. Flat sawn and flat arch = sunken top. Tight straight grain and high arch = a tight top..

On most Basses from France on east to Vienna, most of what I have seen is straight grained Spruce. Some older Viennese basses are occasionally made with irregular grain and multi piece tops like some Italians but from the most part, central Europe used straight grained Euro spruce.
I was really under the impression that only one type of spruce was 'good enough' for instrument use. So it seems that Douglas Fir was used at times in America for bass making probably as it is common in the US.
Would a pic of the grain and general color of the wood I have help identify the species or are they too similar ?