View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015, 07:34 AM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Ken. I feel very lucky. You inspired me.

When I was a young journeyman cabinetmaker, back in the early and mid '80's, I got "into" edge tools. I wanted the toughest, "best" chisels and plane irons.

I bought myself a few handmade Japanese chisels from Woodline, The Japan Woodworker.

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/categ.../Chisels.aspx?

When I brought them into work, one of the older Italian cabinetmakers said, "This chisel is better than you are." It wasn't something that pleased me to hear, but he was right.

On the other hand, the better tools inspired me and made a higher level of work easier to pull off. I had to grow as a woodworker even to hope to be worthy of the tools. While I'll never know if I did, or not, I tried and continue to try.

That's how I feel about this bow. It is better than I am, as a bassist. It inspires me to grow, to be worthy of it. If I can't play something now, it is my shortcoming, not the bow's!

Makes me want to play and practice. What is nice about it is that the practice time is more quickly rewarded.

As I get older, having something that makes my practice time more productive is helpful...