View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Posting Member

Greg Lorisco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Using my Smith BSR5EG and using Smith Medium Taper Cores, I am providing the following as a general guideline from my set-up.

The following are my measurements for string clearance across the fretboard at the 12th and 24th frets (measured from top of fret to bottom of string):

String clearance across fretboard at 12th. Fret (strings not fretted):

B - 4/64
E - 3/64
A - 3/64
D - 3/64
G - 3/64

String clearance across fretboard at 24th. Fret (strings not fretted):

B - 4/64
E - 3/64
A - 3/64
D - 3/64
G - 3/64

NOTE: Notice the consistency of the above two measurements at both 12th and 24th frets. This is what happens with a perfect neck, fret, and fretboard work.

The following are measurements at the leading edge and top of the neck and bridge P/U's when strings are fretted at the 24th fret:

String clearance (with strings fretted at 24th fret) across fretboard at leading edge and top of Neck P/U:

B - 5/64
E - 7/64
A - 7/64
D - 7/64
G - 5/64

String clearance (with strings fretted at 24th fret) across fretboard at leading edge and top of Bridge P/U:

B - 6/64
E - 8/64
A - 8/64
D - 8/64
G - 6/64

Important: If your P/U's utilize the Poll Pieces and you make adjustments to them (i.e. raising them), measurements should be made from the top of the poll pieces to bottom of strings.

Additionally, all things being equal, I would use this similar set-up for a 4 or 6 string bass.

Again, these are my settings for my Smith basses (+/- 1/64th.). I'm not suggesting you set-up your bass as I have, however, you may want to give it a try and determine if it works for you.

Tim, the same measurements at the 12 and 24th fret? That is awesome! Very nice indeed. Are the KS medium taper cores you use Nickel? That helps with fret noise.

As for frets adding edge, I guess that depends on the bass. Most basses it just sounds bad, but I can see how on a KS is could actually give it a fretless growl. Is that what you are referring to?