View Single Post
Old 11-13-2016, 09:53 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lattimore View Post
I understand that there's no such thing as a Strad bass. I was just referring the the label. I have other pics of back etc. I will post as soon as I get to my laptop. Thanks for your response. - J
No offense intended on the Strad comment but I wanted to make that a small point of interest. Also, the 'made in Czech..." writing on the label in English no doubt. This is a clear sign of an instrument made for Export.

Whether made for export of their own regional domestic market, the quality, sound and materials used is individual for each bass. Also, how they fared over time and how they were maintained till now is I think more important than the 'Export' factor.

I myself am currently playing on a German bass from Berlin that was made in 1910. The language on the label is mixed with English, Latin and Italian as far as I can tell. Engraved on the back of the pegbox among other things is Stradivarius as this was Lowendall's Strad Grand Concert model. Over the years, these descriptions varied as did the models. Similar things were used on Violins and Cellos as well.

Many of the basses like yours today are without their original labels. I think the labels and all other markings or inscriptions adds a lot of 'color' to the bass and helps with their mysteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lowendall pics 008.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	3416  Click image for larger version

Name:	Lowendall pics 007-1.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	600.3 KB
ID:	3417  Click image for larger version

Name:	Lowendall pics 004.jpg
Views:	525