View Single Post
Old 12-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool $3,200 for a Kay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Korte View Post
Hi.

I'm looking for my first Bass. The Shen 80 or 100 ply is more or less where I've landed. They used to make these with Gamba corners, but I don't see them listed anymore on their site. Anyone know if they are out there - somewhere?

Also (for fear of starting a newbie "first bass thread") on your forum, do you have any other recommendations in the 2K range?

I'm in Central Virginia, and I've hit Fretwells (which was fun), but $3,200 for a Kay seems nuts. Or am I the nut?

Many thanks & much respect,
Erik
Well, that's what the prices on good Kay's are up to these days.

For the lower line new Basses I prefer European over Chinese. I sell the Wultur line and have done well with it. I have in stock from 2007 one Hybrid Euro model. It also comes in the Panormo shape but this one is more like the Corsini. This Bass also has the upgraded varnish as well.

This is what the Euro model looks like since on my webpage I only have the Panormo pictured. I do however have the Euro pictured in the Basic Laminated version which is about $1000 less. The old price for the Hybrid was $2750 and I have just one left.

The Bass I have has a beautiful grained carved Spruce Top and sounds great as well. It just needs a home. Come up and play it, please. You wont be sorry. Also, while you are here, you can play all of the others and get a bit of education on the world of Basses as well.