Thread: Luis Miguel
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Junior Posting Member

Saul Hurtado is on a distinguished road

Ken,

Thanks for sharing that story with us. I'm a big fan of Luis Miguel because he demands perfection when it comes to music. When I was on my younger days as a musician I was well connected with the latin music industry. People who knew Lalo Carrillo, and just as confirmation to your quote, he is the music director of Luis Miguel's band, he's the one that calls the shots for music. I met him once in February of 2004 in Tijuana Mx at the Jai Alai auditorium. It was quick but he's a great guy and loves Ken Smith basses.

Ken, I just received my new BSR6GN walnut top and back, I'm just amazed at the sound. I have played with two different types of Smith basses. My first time I played with a 5 string bolt on, can't remember the exact model but it sounded amazing for slapping. Nice mids, highs and a tight punch, it was a light colored wood. The second time I used a 5 piece neck thru with quilted maple on the body, it was not laminated just wood. It had sparkling highs and sounded well rounded. My new Smith sounds amazing just the sound I was looking for. More of a low end sound with nice mids and highs for slapping. the walnut makes a great choice for that.

As far as Lalo Carrillo you mentioned he uses BT"G" elites which is now the BSR elite. Am I correct? I was looking at the normal BSR and Elite BSR. The only difference that I found was body wings, 5 piece for elite and 3 piece for norma BSR, also the finish on the elite is hand rubbed highly gloss catalyzed lacquer, vises the normal BSR is hand rubbed dutch varnish. Am I missing anything else. Also?

How does the highly gloss catalyzed change the sound of a Ken smith? Or is it just a cosmetic look?

How does the 5 piece body wing different from the 3 piece body wing as far as sound? Again is it just a cosmetic thing?