View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
The Weichs do it all? You mean they Bow as good as the EPs? Not in my experience and nor to they sound as fat or project as well either in my world.
I put the EPs on for a while and then I put the BCs back on. I went to a friend's place who had EPs on a similar bass (same maker) and we compared them. I thought that the BCs had a nicer bowing sound but the EPs have a nice big strong pizz sound. I don't like the BC pizz feel (a bit too gentle under the fingers) so I put the EPs back on. I gave them a good go for about three weeks. I found I had to use a lot of rosin to make them speak (well, more than I generally use, which is about four down bows every day or two - I practise for 1 to 2 hours per day on average... sometimes less). They're big fat strings and were harder to play at the top of the board. One day I picked up my old plywood that has Weichs on. Obviously this bass can't match the new bass for sound but it was a pleasure to bow the old Weichs. I put the Weichs, that were on the new bass when I got it, back on. It had been sitting in a shop for a while (about 5 years) and hadn't been played much but the Weichs had certainly settled quite a bit. The bass felt good and the sound seemed to match those of the EPs - I played it for a while with two EPs and two Weichs on. I eventually put the BC E back on so that I could have an easy bow on the lowest notes. I'm practising a lot of bowing and I'm enjoying the sound that the 3 Weichs are giving and, of course, their reliable pizz sound. I guess the EPs and the BCs haven't lived up to all the hype for me. I've listened hard to all these strings - I'm really fussy about how my bass sounds. I've been known to change my mind, but I think that the Weichs will be staying put. People often disagree with me about the bow-ability of Weichs. I went to a clinic once (in Palmerston North) and some yankee bassist called Tom Warrington (who was playing at the clinic) rubbished what I said, which was basically that Weichs were not hard to bow (I know you have to be careful not to make them scratchy). Well, I've bowed Weichs on quite a lot of different basses but no one wanted to listen to me at that clinic. It still bugs me a bit how no one would listen. All I can say is that I'd happily put my money where my mouth is and have a 'bow off' with anyone. Just bring your bass to Wainuiomata and face up to the Weich challenge.