View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Up the G?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan haskins View Post
Yeah, Ken, the "reviews" comment was sort of an inside oke (way inside, like inside my own head). I've just spoken to other bassists who get to play that solo, and it always seems to be a big point - they're nervous about the reviews.

But really, I do love that piece, and I'm sure you will kill it. Unfortunately, I will be in New England, not PA, otherwise I would be planning to show up.

So, will you be playing it up the g-string? I talked to one guy last year who decided to cross strings for that solo.
Well, I have played it all ways so far being up, across and a combination of the two. If I use a Bass with a 'D' neck 41-42" S.L., I will play it up the 'G' only as I get more expression and better vibrato that way. If I play it on my Storioni Bass, across might be the better way to go as the Bass is very even sounding but I need a 'taxi' to get back from the lower octave 'A' on the 'G'-string...lol ..(44 1/4" S.L.)..

At the moment I am back to playing my Martini (41 3/4 S.L.) as the Gilkes just went out for sale. I am liking it more now than I did a year ago as it is settling in nicely being here in USA now for almost 3 years. Most of that time it was either getting repaired, modified or being shown for sale. Now I am playing it until my Hart/Fendt is completed and will see then if I stick with it for awhile or put it back up for sale later in the year. The Ebay thing I do with these Basses is mostly promotion for my DB/Bow biz as I don't expect much to come from it directly.