Thread: back to life?
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 05:22 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick Fernandez View Post
Thanks Wayne and Ken for the excellent responses.

Yes the bass is small but it has a very nice shape and the top has a much larger bulge than my larger German shop. The wood is also quite thin, back 1/8", top is .25" at the edges. It has thin purfling on the top and back.

From the outside the sides appear to have flame but I can't be 100% sure i'm seeing the flame on the inside of the ribs.

Body length-40.5"
Top bout-18.75"
Bottom Bout-24"
Depth-7.75"

In any case I didn't spend too much, $700 including the bridge and a ancient bow which has had a really odd repair and pretty much unusable.

The shape and size is very nice, cosmeticaly not so much. The fingerboard paint (yes it was painted) is flaking off as well as some of the finish. There are a few cracks here and there but nothing open or terrinble looking to my untrained eye.

Anyway being a jazz player (of sorts) I would really like to get this bass playing again and I know it will not be an inexpensive task.
Oh, that's not bad at all - nice score!

Assuming there's nothing seriously unhealthy going on, you should be able to get it playable enough to see if you like the bass without breaking the bank, even if you have someone else do it for you.