View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Posting Member

Ronson Hall is on a distinguished road
Post James Jamerson Afficionado?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Smith View Post
For all those that seek to listen to the the magic of James Jamerson, you can pick up the DVD or the CD at you local Wally World (better known as Wal-Mart)

If you are one of those bass guitar lovers who can't seem to get enough of the "Bass Masters" like Mr. Jamerson, I recommend a music book called "Standing In The Shadows of Motown: The Life and Music of Legendary Bassist James Jamerson (Hal Leonard Publishing)." It was compiled by a gentleman out of Philly names "Dr. Licks." I ran to the local sheet music store (Southern Music here in the Alamo City) and bought it years ago when it first flew off the presses!

The book features recorded comments and performances (I got two one-hour cassetes in my book, they later were produced with CDs) by James Jamerson Jr., Paul McCartney, Anthony Jackson, Jimmy Haslip, Pino Palladino, Bob Babbitt, Marcus Miller, Gerald Veasley, Chuck Rainey (one of the most famous Ken Smith users there is), Willie Weeks (when I was a teenager, Willie's bass solo on Donny Hathaway's live album made me swoon), "Ready" Freddie Washington (another big time Ken Smith guy), and a whole lot more.

The book tells the riveting story of Mr. Jamerson & The Funk Brothers, and goes into detail about their recording sessions in Detroit. It even has original chart music in it!

If you love James Jamerson, you've got to add this book to your collection!