Thread: Bass Tracks....
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 10:01 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb copyright issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner View Post
Mike, another potentially sticky area here is copyright. It would likely be wise to add a sticky to each forum to cover Ken's butt when it comes to copyright issues. Any clips you guys host could be a copyright violation if the person uploading it isn't the copyright holder. You would probably want to put up a notice instructing people to not upload any music they do not own the copyright on.

This may affect Tim's upload as it could be construed as a work for hire which means he's not the owner. A sad state of affairs exists where even though a musician plays on a recording, he/she probably doesn't have the right to copy and play it. You may also want to add that anyone who uploads a clip to you who does own the copyright gives KSB an unlimited license to copy and distribute that copy.

And to top things off, you may want to add that all files uploaded are the responsibility of the person uploading them, and that any files found to be in violation of a copyright will be removed upon notice from the copyright holder, etc..

I don't want to come across as a stick in the mud, but with the warpath the recording industry has been on recently, I'd rather KSB stay out of their cross hairs so I can order more basses..
Have you guys seen 'you tube'? Have they been sued for any of the Vids on their site? We are not selling this here. It is just the players posting some clips to share it with their friends? Do you send royalties to BMI or ASCAP each time you play a song at home or for your friends or even in a club?

This is not a commercial section here at all. We are not selling any music. I have an entire Thread about Violin Books to read or buy. If anything, those publishers should send me a Gift, not a Writ! If someone puts out a CD and you promote that, you should get rewarded, not sued! If you have some Bass playing you wish to share, then share it..