View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road

Okay, I've done some reading on this topic and I found a wbsite which contains a bit more information: http://www.rivinus-instruments.com/DesignConcepts.htm (Two thirds down the page).

To summarize, the wings of the bridge act as a dampening device. On an instrument which is generally shrill (like the violin), the wings cut down on the penetrating tone and add a bit of depth to the sound.

For Double Bass, (perhaps an ultra dark instrument) it may be a good idea to remove the wings since it would bring more focus and clarity to individual notes and perhaps increase resonance and volume due to the decreased mass on the bridge.

However, this may not work for brighter instruments as this could result in a penetrating tone to the ear.

From everyone I've spoken to with these bridges, the instruments clarity has always improved and volume has increased.

I will speak to Don Gorman about this considering that his instruments are by nature very dark in sound.

For someone doing auditions it may be good to have a slightly more focussed sound so you could project in the hall.

I believe Joel Quarrington uses this type of bridge, perhaps he could chime in?

Thanks.

Last edited by Calvin Marks; 04-12-2009 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Spelling.