View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Gagliano Sold! Conclusion..

As expected, the Bass went for over 100k. The actual winning bid was $120k. With the 17.5% commission (up to $80k and then 10% after that), the buyers net before taxes and shipping (not to mention needed repair costs) was $138k.

I can't go into details about who won the auction other than I think it was a European bidder. As far as the "under bidder" goes (the one who almost won the auction), this too is not public information.

Bottom line is that who ever got this Bass paid a fair market price for it. Happy ending in my book.

FYI, This was an unlabeled uncertified Double Bass believed to made by the Gagliano Family of makers of Naples, Italy in the latter part of the 18th century. I wonder what price the Bass would have with 2 or more sets of Papers/Certificates and an authentic label? Confirmed Pedigree or not, this Bass went for some serious money.

Note: This Thread was initially started on TalkBass on 10/4/07. I have copied most of what I posted there but changed some of the text to reflect current time.

Last edited by Ken Smith; 01-16-2008 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Commission percentages corrected