View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 05:23 AM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

Dragonetti sure is fun! It looks difficult to the audience but you can practically play it in 180bpm and still manage because it is so well written for the instrument. Too bad it was written by Nanny, though... that sort of makes it less interesting.

Yes, Vanhal is great. All those different scoraduras and editions makes it confusing, though... as for that "solo Viennese" tuning in an open Eb chord. The first Dittersdorf concerto is available in at least two editions, one that reads Eb, and one that reads D. I believe the D version is easier to play, but how are you supposed to know beforehand? Another problem arises with his 2nd, which is a standard piece for European auditions. It was written in D, but on the fourth tuned bass some passages got so difficult that the person first editing the piece cut out some out!! How nice is that to the composer? Now, it is easier to play in C, but nobody can really do that, since it's the edited D version that's already been standard for a good many years, and that's what you play for the auditions. Gee.

Anyways, my absolute faves are Tubin's concerto, and Rota's "Divertimento Concertante." Edicson Ruiz has nice versions on Youtube, especially his Rota is awesome. I have vowed not to stop studying until I can play it properly.