View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Posting Member

Jeff Moote is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Jeff Moote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Roessler View Post
I really like the Vanhal - my favorite classical period concerto. Which edition is it that has the facsimile? I'd really like to see that. I've played one written in D major for the bass (Hofmeister I think) and I'm very very suspicious of the editing.
Both of mine are published by Hofmeister but the editors are different. The piano reductions are quite different too, aside from the key change, but this doesn't really matter much if your end goal is to play it with an orchestra since they're both reductions.

The one that sounds in D with solo tuning (bass part in C) is the one that included the facsimile (which is in D), revealing that both versions have suspect editing but the one you have completely leaves some ornament notes out. I've gone through and fixed it all, including lots of 8va (whole pages as well as isolated passages) but we'll see if I can actually play all of them in the upper octave (lots of work at the end of the fingerboard in TP). If you want to PM me your email address, I'll try to scan the facsimile this weekend and will send it to you. From there you can make your own decisions about editing your part.

Last edited by Jeff Moote; 08-02-2007 at 09:05 PM.