View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 08:11 PM
Posting Member

Drake Chan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Harrison Jr. View Post
E-A Swap has been performed! I like it. E didn't change very much in my opinion, although I do think it sounds a little cleaner. My A string however is LOVING the change. The A, which before on mine seemed to be "lacking" and dull, has great new life. It's bright and edgy, without being obtrusive. It really makes me want to try this on my D and G now. Here is some pics. Warning, the are fairly large. And please no laughing at my el cheapo ; ; One of these days I'll get to upgrade to something decent. ......
The same thing happened to my A string. It just had a really wimpy sound and feel to it before, both pizz and arco. I really had no idea it would affect it so much. Honestly, I did the switch only to get a looser feeling and more sonorous E string sound, since it felt sort of like a bridge cable before. I never really imagined that the switch would cure the weak A string as well. It sounds and feels like the D string now: tight, punchy, yet warm.

The G string has been improved with the Pirastro rubber tone filter, but it will still squeak under hard bowing. A lighter touch with the bow as well as a quicker stroke will prevent that from happening.