Thread: Upton Basses
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Posting Member

Drake Chan is on a distinguished road

As long as we're being free here, let's not forget that this is Ken's site, and that he will definitely push his products here.

At the same time, there's no pretending here that this is a totally impartial site like TBDB seemed to claim. It was a good site with good information, and it still is. But some things just started to get to me.

There was that whole saga of flaming one another in one of the threads. This has happened at least more than once. Once everything died down, it was better.

But the one thing that really got to me was in the "Strunal vs. Upton" thread.

Within the thread, someone asked whether to get a bass from Upton or a Strunal setup by a local luthier. Now I didn't really know the luthier, but it seems like a few people did and said he did good work. I though at that point that the luthier seemed okay, and I posted that the guy should try both basses (or more) before buying. I think at this point, Michael Case started to challenge Upton.

Anyway, a few posts later, Gary implicitly claimed that one of the posters before who praised the Strunal, with the name "mike" within his username, was really the luthier himself, who also happened to be named Mike, and was posting separately as a shill. At this point, the luthier himself wrote a post in angry, formal letter form in response to Gary and everyone else to try to clear his name.

Eventually, everything calmed down. The "shill" was a kid named Mike who studied with the luthier. People came down to the point of actually trying out the basses before buying.