View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Charniga View Post
That does look pretty close, with the exception of the outside linings.

I've been looking at scrolls since I bought this bass, trying to find another with those odd little fillips carved into the back of the pegbox, which seem to be the bass' most distinctive feature.

While it was clearly a cheap shop bass, I wasn't satisfied with being completely ignorant about it.

Bohemian it is, then, with a plain-Jane carved back. Thank you! Figure I should insure it for, what, $5K-$7K?

Next time I have to drive to Youngstown I'll try to detour through Perkasie and drop the bass off for a few days. I'd love to know anything else you could tell me. It's a humble instrument to be sure, but a damned cannon nonetheless.
That seems to be a fair insurance price but watch the bass market for what similar basses sell for. Selling price and Insurance price is usually not the same. In case of a loss, it could cost more to replace it at the retail level. I think your bass is closer to German/Czech than Bohemian so I would call it Germanic. That would include the linings, the gear plates and that Scroll button which looks more German to me.

When you have the time, read this; http://www.smithbassforums.com/showthread.php?t=2176 .. It will help your understand the business over there at that time, say c.1890-1930, my estimate.