View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Posting Member

Jeff Moote is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Jeff Moote

Thanks for the suggestions. I've made two big orders of music from Lemur in the last couple weeks, but if I'm in a local shop or placing another order I'll pick up the Scarlatti sonatas and perhaps the 3 by Misek too (for playing later when I'm ready for them). On the "difficulty scale" used in the Lemur catalogue, the Marcello and Vivaldi sonatas are 3.0-4.0, the Vanhal at 6.0 and the Misek E minor 8.8. His first sonata isn't quite as bad, and they give it a 6.5.

As for the Vanhal, my biggest challenge initially is editing the parts. I want to read it at pitch in Dmaj so I had to buy both the Dmaj and Emaj editions as there is no orchestral tuning version. So I'll use the solo part from Emaj (reading D) and the piano part from Dmaj. The problem is that the Dmaj edition (reading C) is actually much better edited and includes the facsimile. The part I want to play from has changed phrasing, left out some ornaments, and very liberally taken passages down an octave (though from looking at the facsimile, Vanhal wrote many parts that nobody plays at pitch). I figure I'll try it all as the editor has written it, but make notes where I may wish to take things up an octave or two if I'm capable.

Last edited by Jeff Moote; 08-01-2007 at 10:14 PM.