View Single Post
Old 08-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jim Henderson is on a distinguished road
Default In praise of AES Fine Instruments

Many months ago I sent a carved, mid 60's Juzek/Wilfer to Arnold Schnitzer. Not exactly a Rolls Royce but rather a 57' Chevy of basses. The bass was purchased from Ruben Gutierez in Brooklyn and was essentially an encyclopedia of cracks, splits, and damage in general.
I don't know if the bass could meet the local definition of a restoration but, a new bass bar, re-graduations, new finger board, new tail piece, new sound post, new saddle, bridge and nut, scroll/neck spline, carbon rods in the neck and countless edge and interior patching, et. al., have now been completed.
Arnold has told me that Jed Kriegel performed much of the repair under his watchful eye. What they (AES Fine Instruments) have done is nothing short of amazing. They have taken a disaster of a small 3/4 student bass and made a tight little jazz box of it. Warm, plenty of punch, balanced tone across the finger board, low end growl and a dream to play.
If you have a bass that you wish to be either returned to, or made better than, what it used to be, take advantage of the talents and skills of these luthier masters. It will be worth every dime you spend and in return you'll receive countless hours of beautiful music. While it's not my Cleveland (forgot to mention that I own the finest Cleveland ever made) it is exactly the sound I knew was in there but needed a luthier's genius to release.
Thanks Arnold and Jed, you fellas are amazing.
Jim