View Single Post
Old 04-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Wow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swanson View Post
I was lucky enough to get a great teacher (jazz virtuoso, former National Symphony player, composer, and conductor Terry Plumeri, who studied with the former NYPhil Principal, Robert Brennand).

I learned more in my first month with him than I had "taught" myself (badly) in 2-3 years of nonstop flailing and playing publicly, out of tune. Through Terry, I also got to meet and take a lesson with Mr. Brennand (whose ease, talent, and tone I will never forget). Later, I got to study with Lew Norton (former NYPhil, for decades, amazingly large sound, great, generous, funny, no-nonsense guy) and very briefly, with George Mraz (jazz virtuoso and overall amazing player, with or without the bow). All these players had overcome the physical challenges of the instrument.
About 3 years ago I called Lew Norton just to say 'thanks' as I know he's getting up there in years. I was in my early 20s when I studied with him and now I'm pushing 57. I left several messages and he didn't respond at first. Then I called Bill Blossom who was my teacher before Lew and before Bill had made the Orchestra. I was about 19-20 at the time. I told Bill I was trying to get in touch with Lew as it's been over 30-35 years since I have seen or talked to either of them. I also gave my thanks to Bill on the phone and mentioned how I was back playing again after a 15 year retirement. This time around though instead of doing the Commercial Scene (with a lil Jazz) like I did in NY for 20 years, I am now playing in Orchestras out here in PA. Holding Principal in 2 Orchestras and a hired gun for several others as a sub in the area. I just needed to thank them both for all the teaching I had gotten. Also, I was finally doing what I was trained for as well as teaching myself back up to speed.

Well, Bill let Lew know I was trying to reach him (this is just before he retired) and the next time I called Lew he picked up the phone.."KENNY!!!...".. and it was old home week.

I asked Bill at first if he even remembered me and he said, "YES, we talk about you here in the section all the time". "Huh? With the section? The guys there know me?".. I asked... "Yes, they know you. You were my most successful student" Bill said.

Later that year John Schaeffer (retired Principal and Bill's former teacher) called Jeff Bollbach for my address to send me an invitation. Bill was turning 60 and was playing a recital at his own birthday bash. At that event was the entire Bass section plus Shaeffer, Biase, Schnitzer, Bollbach, Alvin Bream, Peter Lloyd and a few other top Bassists and families.

That was a night to remember. I asked Bill about his son that was an infant when I studied with him. He then introduces me to his 35 year old son. Time flies. Take those lessons now. They are priceless in the long run.