View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelcataldo View Post
For those who have added the single coil mod, what are your thought? I'm thinking about trying it. I never us the series setting so I will use the existing two way switches.
We have 3-way's in stick now and I can tell you that on the SC setting, unless the balance control is centered, there is hum. One pickup solo is the most and fades as you reach the center detent position.

Sound wise, I think it sounds thin. Not like I intended the bass to sound. These pickups were made to be in series or parallel over 30 years ago. When I tested the SC setting back then, I didn't like it. About 31 years later, I still don't like it.

We have these switches available pre-wired for Smith basses for use in production, modifications or for outright sale and you do as you wish with them.

They are custom made switches like the 2-ways are with all the same features to thread thru the wood, gold contacts, etc. Not a part you can buy anywhere. We have tried. We have to get them made in large batches and it takes 'months' to get them.