Thread: Guarneri basses
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 11:47 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Larsson View Post
I read about a 19th-century Italian virtuoso who travalled around Europe with a Guarneri bass. (With detachable neck, of all things.) I know that there has been some copying of the Guarneri model - for instance, Alfred Meyer makes Guarneri copies - but I always thought that it was the same with the Guarneri type models as with Stradivari; a famous maker who didn't actually build any basses, only got them attributed to him in lack of knowledge/for want of money/for convenience, or that any seriously made copies where a violin/cello model was simply adapted to the DB.
Now, this suggests that I was wrong. Are there really some Guarneri made Double Basses in the records?
Well, I don't know of any confirmed basses by this family despite the claims in the Elgar book. There are thousands of Strad copy basses out there so I guess they can use any name they like. I 'named' a bass after Amati knowing that to date, there are no confirmed Amati basses. Why not ask Meyer what exact Bass they copied and who confirmed it? Can't hurt. Also age Pollmann while your'e at it. They make one as well namer Guarneri.