View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 05:57 PM
Junior Posting Member

Richard Hall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Hi folks, this new Thread is basically 'Neck Talk' as far as how we do things. Also, we can discuss the differences between various construction types of Necks as well as Fingerboard materials, Graphite Carbon Fiber, Truss Rods etc.

In our Basses we have used 3, 5 and 7 piece laminated Necks and we have also made each of these in several ways and with various materials. Fingerboards on Smith Basses are usually Ebony or Morado but we have used and tried some other woods as well over the years. These also include Indian Rosewood, Bubinga, Ziricote, Maple and Granadilla from what I can remember. For the Neck woods itself we have used both hard and soft maples, curly and non-curly. For Neck laminates we have used Indian Rosewood, Morado, Bubinga, Shedua, Purpleheart and Walnut.

As you can see, I have tried many many combinations and to date have produced over 5,400 handmade Smith Basses. From this kind of quantity and variety, I can easily see what works best for us and what doesn't. Also, I can see what works period or not regardless of the brand or maker.

So, tell us about your "Neck of the Woods" now...

Questions and discussions are welcomed...

Edit: You may find this link helpful in understanding some of the things we do as well as how and why we do them.
Hi Ken.

I have a few questions regarding neck stability that I noticed haven't really been touched on in this forum that I was curious about.

I was wondering why you like to use graphite reinforcement for building your necks. I understand the basic premise for using it is to stabilize the neck and minimize dead and hot spots.

Have you considered researching any alternate ways of reducing the stress on the neck? I already know that you aren't for using a scale lengths more or less that 34"; I'm not a fan of that technique either.

And speaking of dead/hot spots, what is your theory as to what causes them? Thanks for sharing your knowledge and wisdom.
I like playing bass - git dare!