View Single Post
Old 09-19-2008, 02:47 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool humm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Perrin View Post
How would you compare the Shen SB200 Willow to the Amati KSB and Calin Wultur Corsini? Do any of them stand out as being better made in any way?

I probably will end up having to make a vacation of getting around to try out basses.
Arnold has the Amati in his shop. It is deeper and to me better sounding than any of the Shens he has in stock, all carved. This opinion was shared by a pro Orch. Bassist visiting from Denmark that picked up my Loveri at the shop so Arnold could tweak the set-up. He said the Amati sounded better.

The Wulter is again not as deep as the Amati but I only have the Panormo model in stock now to compare and that is a bigger and deeper sounding bass than even the Corsini is so take that as a Yes.. better deeper tone than the Corsini.

The Shen willow I have played was a 3/4 and I think it was nice but not as nice as the Corsini bass.

Why not PM Arnold of his candid opinion since he knows 2 of the 3 choices if not all 3. If you visit Arnold, you can play some Shen's a swell. I have the Wultur and Amati here but not the Shen, sorry.