View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Posting Member

Nathan Parker is on a distinguished road

Well, in contrast to the latest consensus that has been formed, gut is where it's at for me.

Ken was generous enough to trade me his broken in set of Carlos Henriquez Pirastro Chorda strings for a broken in set of Spirocores. I don't know if I will ever go back. I've switched to the regular Chorda's now, but might go back to the C.H. diameters, as that regular Chorda E string is quite the monster. Great sound, but it ain't easy to play.

The things I really enjoy about gut strings is the tone and the feel. The sound is so unique and it seems to be impossible to replicate. It is very warm and full to my ears, but it also has a blunt and un-complex quality that I like very much. It's almost as if the bass is more akin to a timpani than a violin or cello. And, the feel and tension are quite the delight. Pizzicato, there seems to be a larger palate of tonal color, which can be changed by variations in right hand position and pulling technique. Lastly, the lower tension allows me to raise the string height and still play without pain, which means more volume for me. I have taken to playing without an amp lately, so that is definitely a help.

I know there are downsides to the gut strings, but for me and my needs, the pros outweigh the cons.

Last edited by Nathan Parker; 01-20-2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: spelling maybe. italian words are hard